For any
of you out there that have begun somewhere to get in better shape or to jump on
the fitness bandwagon, you understand the struggle of diets. Even the word “diet”
will make anyone cringe. The unfortunate thing is that diet is half the battle
of any fitness related goal, but it really does not have to be the worst thing
to ever participate in. Learning to eat for your body and its’ needs can really
make an impact in reaching those goals.
I am
sure everyone has heard of protein building, cutting, and the unhealthy starving.
Listening to what your body needs takes time as well as mastering a proper
diet. I have spent the last 4 years moving fully away from dairy almost
entirely because I have found that a “sensitivity” just does not explain it. I
have progressed with lactose tolerance issues to the point that it is painful
to digest it. This is the type of thing you need to listen to whether it is
digestion problems that we all know of after spending quite some time in the
restroom or simple acne with certain foods. These sensitivities even if minor
can play a big part when attempting to build muscle or lose weight.
Understanding
needs is, also, an aspect that needs to be learned and no I am not talking
about eliminating foods. I am referencing learning what a balanced diet is for
your fitness level. If heavy lifting and bulky muscles is your goal, lots of
protein, moderate smart carbs, and lots of water will be primary goal. If you
are looking to slim and tone, lower protein, lots of greens/fruits, metabolism
boosters are going to be your friend. From my more recent experiences, I have
going between protein building and cutting attempting to find a good fit for
me. I have found that I absolutely love cutting and moderate dieting rather
than protein building which I find is a heavy time for me. I usually am super
tired and bulked making some things more difficult which why I love to
slim/tone everything post build. I am actually in the middle of a week of
cutting after 5 days of heavy protein building.
Lastly, learning
is the most important aspect of proper balancing a diet with your fitness
routine. Learning what your body responds to well will allow you to remain on
track for any goal. You are not going to gain anything if just run, but you are
also not going to lose anything if only lift. Personally, since I had played
volleyball for so long, my body is very accustomed to high intensity interval
training, so I do very well when performing a sprinting interval routine on the
treadmill. This is my best way to run oxygen in my blood, but on the other hand
it does not give me a consistent sweat and high cardio, so I love stair
routines. BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF LEARNING IS LIFTING! I cannot stress
how important learning to lift properly is for reaching goals. There are sooo
many muscles that need to be targeted not to mention that when lifting, you
continue to burn energy even after you have left the gym. The results and work
are long lasting!
Overall,
remember that your body may be different from others and there is no perfect
way, but there is a healthy way. Listening, understanding, and learning to what
your body needs will help you progress towards any goal.
Check out The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that has some great information about eating well as women, so make sure you check out their awesome Informational Page.
Check out The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that has some great information about eating well as women, so make sure you check out their awesome Informational Page.
I admire your dedication!!
ReplyDeleteYay!! A fellow female lifter! I started lifting about 3 years ago and don't understand why I didn't start sooner! It's so hard to explain to people, especially women, how important it is to left weights when exercising and losing weight. It's sad that there is such a stigma around women lifting weights when in reality, it's essential! Great blog by the way! Can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteI love high intensity internal training and it works well with my body. It is a hard thing sometimes for people to learn there is no one size fits all diet. Your post provides motivation to keep on keeping on! Get it girl!!
ReplyDelete